Friday, August 12, 2022

Local news show profiles Tony Hawk in 1986


Yeah, we all know who Tony Hawk is now.  But way back in 1986, pretty much only serious skaters knew who he was.  Here's 18-year-old Tony Hawk, two years after the first Powell Peralta Bones Brigade video, skating and talking in front of his first house in Carlsbad, California.

Where were you in 1986?  Many of you may not have even been born yet.  I'm a couple of years older than Tony, and 1986 was the year my BMX freestyle zine in San Jose landed me a job in Southern California, at BMX Action and FREESTYLIN' magazines.  I barely knew who Tony was in 1986, although I had been goofing around on skateboards since 1976.  My co-worker and roommate at Wizard, Mark "Lew" Lewman is the guy who showed me his skate magazines, and got me more interested in skateboarding, along with my boos there, Andy Jenkins.  We covered skating in FREESTYLIN', and Lew introduced me to 19-year-old Rodney Mullen my second night in Redondo Beach, who happened to practice at The Spot, by the Redondo Pier, where we practiced our flatland on BMX freestyle bikes every night.  

As big a name as Tony Hawk was in skateboarding in 1986, skating was still not cool to most people.  Skaters and BMXers were still weirdos back then, though Tony was already making more money than most of the old geezers telling him to "Go get a real job, punk."  That is something we all heard in our late teens and early 20's, while riding skateboards or BMX bikes, in the 1980's.  Action sports has come a long way since 1986.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Links to my most popular blogs...

It's been 36 years since the first little shot of me doing BMX freestyle (sort of) in this Maurice Meyer segment from a local San Franci...