Tuesday, June 21, 2022

#SEstreetlife photos- A few of the animals I've seen while homeless- 6/21/2022

I was walking along the trails on the Manchester district (south) side of the James River in Richmond, Virginia, when I saw this great blue heron in a tiny stream on the other side of the trail.  Spring of 2019.  #SEstreetlife, #steveemigphotos
This is one of the two best coyote photos I've managed to get with the old iPhone 5.  Coyotes are hard to get pics of, without a really good zoom lense.  I've seen them a few dozen times while homeless, starting in 2002 in Huntington Beach.  This one was a weird looking coyote, it looked like it may have had some shepherd in it.  It returned around dawn, after coming by in the wee hours of the morning.  L.A. county, not far from Universal Studios area, 2021.  
Because of past flooding issues, there are some gigantic flood walls next to the James River in Richmond, VA.  For a while, I walked to a bus stop every morning, right by the Manchester Bridge.  There's a cool lookout place on top of the wall there, and vultures sometimes congregate there in the mornings.  Black vulture atop the retianing wall early one morning, spring 2019.  
There are pigeons all over cities in the U.S.  This one had a missing foot, so I nicknamed him Ahab.  He (or she?) used to show up nearly every morning, at a bus bench, where I ate breakfast a lot.  Studio City, CA,  2021.  
A different coyote from the one above, but in the same area.  Roaming and scavenging late at night, just over the hill from Hollywood.  It may be hard ot believe, but there are at least a couple of mountain lions, bobcats, deer, and coyotes in the Santa Monica mountains, the big hills where the Hollywood sign, Beverly Hills, and many other upscale areas are located.  The small mountain range is completely surrounded by urban areas, but some large mammals call it home.  #SEstreetlife, #steveemigphotos

 If you look close, there's a fence lizard, half on the concrete strip, below the bush.  I saw this lizard while wandering around the Newport Beach art park, along Avocado Street, in Newport Beach.  When I first landed back in Orange County, in the summer of 2019, I stayed in this area for a while.  The art park, which included Bunnyhenge, is a cool place to wander around, and to take photos.  

In addition to these creatures, I've see raccoons, opossums, skunks, mule deer, whitetail deer, a wild turkey, many coyotes, a bobcat, 3 mountain lions (maybe same one, three times), eastern box turtles, whiptail lizards, a nutria, a 7 to 8 foot python (released pet, most likely), gopher snakes, ospreys, bald eagles, a sphinx moth, great horned owls, a barn owl, burrowing owls, green herons, night herons, great egrets, snowy egrets, a southern pacific rattlesnake, a California thrasher (it's a bird, not Duane Peters, though I have seen him while I've been homeless, too), and many kinds of ducks and shorebirds.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Links to my most popular blogs...

It's been 36 years since the first little shot of me doing BMX freestyle (sort of) in this Maurice Meyer segment from a local San Franci...