Friday, July 22, 2022

Some of my favorite Sharpie Scribble Style drawings #1

Not many people have seen this one.  Stevie Ray Vaughn, the guy Austin, Texas has a statue of on their jogging trails by the river.  I actually got to see SRV play in a bar on 6th Street in Austin, in 1988,  I had no idea who he was.  I was down there for a BMX freestyle contest, and some locals took us to 6th Street.  We did tricks for the crowds for a while, and then locked up the bikes, and went into a bar for a couple of beers.  When we came out later, I said, "Man, that bluesy guy on the guitar was pretty good."  One of the locals said, "Pretty good?  That was fucking Stevie Ray Vaughn!"  18" X 24", 2018, #sharpiescribblestyle
The late U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsbuerg, aka, The Notorious RBG.  Yep, like Biggie Smalls, she's from Brooklyn, and even has her own music video.  I drew this shortly after death, actually planning to send the original to someone in the media who was a huge fan of hers.  I put it up on Facebook, and it instantly became the most popular drawing I've ever done, out of about 100 big drawings.  18" X 24" 2020.  #sharpiescribblestyle
This is one of the recent ones I've done.  As crazy as it sounds, there's no really good photo of Evel jumping (and landing it).  In all the photos he's tiny, compared to the buses or whatever he's jumping.  I drew an Evel drawing in about 2016, and it sucked.  The only good close up photo is him going over the bars at Caesar's Palace.  But this wheelie with a chillin' photo of him worked well.  18" X 24" 2022.  #sharpiescribblestyle
Way back in the 1980's, I used to sketch isometric drawings of all kinds of ramp set-ups, when a quaterpipe or basic halfpipe was all that actually existed.  One day I thought, "What if M.C. Escher designed a skatepark?"  So I drew a few sketches.  Early this year (2022), I didn't have my Sharpies with me, and I sketched a few more, just screwing around.  I put them Facebook, and somebody wanted to buy them.  After a few sketches, I decided to get a pencil, protractor, and ruler, and draw a real one.  This is the first of those big ones I drew.  18" X 24" 2022.  #sharpiescribblestyle
I've done about 8, maybe 10 art decks.  This one of Kobe I did in early 2021, and put the original drawing on the deck, like and idiot.  It sold on Hollywood Boulevard in like 20 minutes, to a crew guy setting up for a movie premire (a job I used to do BITD).  Sharpie Scribble Style drawing and acrylics on a blem skate deck.  A wall hanger, not meant for skating.  2021.  #sharpiescribblestyle
This is the original art I did for an autograph card for Hall of Fame skateboarder Robin Logan, of Logan Earth Skis.  About 5" X 7", I think.  #sharpiescribblestyle  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Links to my most popular blogs...

It's been 36 years since the first little shot of me doing BMX freestyle (sort of) in this Maurice Meyer segment from a local San Franci...