Friday, July 22, 2022

Some of my favorite Sharpie Scribble Style drawings #2

My name is Steve Emig, and I drew this Harley Quinn drawing in November 2019.  "When the world gets crazy, step up to meet it."  Then down below, in pencil I wrote "Shit's about to happen."  I'm a futurist as well as a Sharpie artist.  I had been writing about the crazy, "coming recession" for a couple of years at that point, and I knew things were about to begin getting crazy.  That wasn't some mystical revelation, it was 30 years of reading books, watching trends, and trying to figure out why things play out the way they do.  

Harley Quinn drawing for a skateboard art deck.  You can see about 175 of my Sharpie Scribble Style drawings on my Pinterest page (because Pinterest is way cooler than Instagram).  #sharpiescribblestyle, #harleyquinn, #fanart, #steveemigart
Thrasher magazine drawing, that I sent to Thrasher mag's offices, to show them what my #sharpiescribblestyle was.  I never got a single word back.  I hope somebody is happy to have it on their wall.  I also hope every old school skater that sees it says, "Dude, can I get a copy of that?"  Because that's what my friends said when I showed it to them.  18" X 24", 2022,  #sharpiescribblestyle
One of my latest drawings, the late cat of a librarian I know.  She said one of her other cats stared at this framed picture, appearing to recognize the cat had once lived with him.  I can't tell you what that cat was thinking, but it's cool to hear stories like that after spending 45 hours drawing something. 18" X 24", 2022.   #sharpiescribblestyle
Classic Jimi Hendrix picture of him burning his guitar, with "Hey Joe" lyrics in the background.  18" X 24", 2018.  #sharpiescribblestyle 
This is a teenager named Erin who got my drawing of Lana Del Rey, her favorite singer, as a 16th birthday gift.  Lisa, Erin's mom, wrote an artist profile of me for the newspaper in the Winston-Salem Journal, for my first art show, in the fall of 2017.  We chatted a couple of times, and then she asked me to draw this a few months later.  She said Erin was "over the moon," when she got this on her birthday.  That's another cool thing to hear, after spending 45 hours drawing it.  I was living in a tent, in the woods, across the street from Hanes Mall, when I drew this picture.  I worked all day, every day, drawing, at a local McDonald's, or one of the libraries in Winston, drawing this picture and many others.  I was drawing about one drawing a week, to survive at the time.  I also became a fan of Lana Del Rey's music that week.  18" X 24", 2018.  #sharpiescribblestyle
One of my better drawings of my first full year trying to actually sell my drawings, 2016.  I invented my Sharpie Scribble Style technique in 2005, while actually living in an indie art gallery.  I played around with the technique for ten years.  In late 2015, I decided to try to start trying to sell drawings, which meant dramatically steeping up my artwork.  I started selling drawings online not because I wanted  to be a famous artist, but because I could not find any "real job" while living in North Carolina.  I could think of no other reasonable to make any money, at the time, in that situation.  My Sharpie art, and the social media marketing and blogging skills I learned along the way, brought me back to Southern California, where I lived most of my adult life, and plan to live the rest of it.  

 Princess Leia, which I started drawing right before Carrie Fisher got sick, and I was working on this drawing when she actually died.  Yeah, that's weird.  But when you're a serious artist, you know synchronicity is a thing, and weird stiff happens on a regular basis when you do a lot of creative work.  18" X 24", 2016.  #sharpiescribblestyle

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Links to my most popular blogs...

It's been 36 years since the first little shot of me doing BMX freestyle (sort of) in this Maurice Meyer segment from a local San Franci...