Saturday, September 3, 2022

How to support my blogging, artwork, and photos


 I've been self-publishing my words and photos since starting my first BMX freestyle zine, San Jose Stylin', with a $15 manual typewriter and a Kodak 110 camera, in September of 1985.  I started blogging while driving a taxi in Orange County in 2007.  I didn't know what I was doing, and hardly anybody found that first blog, which is good, because it sucked.  But I got into it a lot more seriously in December of 2008, when I landed back east, and couldn't find any job.  Since that time I've probably tried over 50 blog ideas, and have published 25 blogs that have scraped in 750 page views or more.

Since that sketchy beginning in late 2008, writing about my short job at BMX Action and FREESTYLIN' magazines, I have written well over 2,500 blog posts, across my 25 most popular blogs, which have pulled in over 450,000 total page views.  

I've never had ads on my blogs, except for a short try with them in 2009, and then I decided to take them back off.  I've never charged for my blog posts, or put any behind a paywall.  My blogging is free to anyone who wants to check it out over the internet.  In this post, "Addicted to blogs", well over a year ago, I went back and listed my main blogs, and tracked their stats.  If you've checked out my blogs, you know I write... a lot.  Figuring about 600 words average per post, I've written the equivalent of a bout 21 to 25 full length novels worth of work.  Free.  The only paid writing I've done since 1998 was my ebook in 2021, which I asked $3.43 for, and sold 48 copies of, I think.  And yes, as most of you know, I've been homeless for most of the time I've been writing all these blog posts.  

Many of you have bought one or more of my Sharpie Scribble Style drawings.  I sincerely thank you for that.  Several of you have tossed me a few bucks here and there, sometimes more than a few bucks, to help the cause.  I sincerely thank you for that, as well.  I did try Patreon at one point, so people could become members and help support my work.  But Patreon works best for Amanda Palmer and hot cosplay chicks.  My man boobs are saggy, and no one wants to see me dressed up in anime' or World of Warcraft attire.  Patreon just wasn't the right fit for me.

But I'm also pretty sick of being broke.  I don't expect to make a living blogging, I do want to write some ebooks, real print books, and do art shows, and get back into video producing, at some point.  I will gladly charge for those products when they come out.  But I'm letting you all know that the Donate Button above will be on my blog posts from now on.  If you get something from my work, and want to help the cause, you can donate there, either with a paypal account out major credit cards.  Just click on the button and follow the steps.  Anything helps the cause, $1 buys me my morning caffieine, and blogging session at a Fast Food joint.  The money goes to help me live day to day, as I work towards building a life as a writer/artist/street photographer that will actually put, and keep, a decent roof over my head, and get me a bike and skateboard again somewhere down the line, lose weight, and go back to sucking at BMX freestyle again, now as an old guy.  I'm not trying to make a living off the donate button, but enough money for lunch now and then would be cool and helpful.  

I'd like ot say a HUGE thank you to everyone of you who has been apart of those 450,000 page views, and I want to keep putting out interesting, funny, entertaining, and thought provoking content as time goes on, free to anyone, worldwide, who wants to check it out.  Thanks!  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Links to my most popular blogs...

It's been 36 years since the first little shot of me doing BMX freestyle (sort of) in this Maurice Meyer segment from a local San Franci...